arrakiswitch

A Reciprocal Love Affair With Books

Miles Morales: Spider-Man (A Marvel YA Novel)
Jason Reynolds, Kadir Nelson
Progress: 206/261 pages

Review: Star wars: Lando by Charles Soule and Alex Maleev

— feeling love
Star Wars: Lando - Charles Soule, Alex Maleev

This is the most fun I've had with a Star Wars comic in... forever, honestly! They've always been sort of hit or miss with me, or hit and miss sometimes. But Lando's one of my favorites, and a character who's always been completely short shrifted by the Star Wars EU. So when I saw this comic existed, I had to have it. I couldn't have predicted that the writing would be THIS fun, and that Soule would so completely capture the character I loved (pre-ESB, too, while still imbuing him with depth and warmth.)

The basic premise is enough to make me laugh (Lando unwittingly steals Palpatine's pleasure yacht during a heist) but the story turns dark--not dark enough that it made me feel bad or crappy while reading it, but just edgy enough to keep it interesting, with a heart-breaking ending that leads nicely into the movies, character-wise.

The art was solid and interesting to look at, and actually looked like the actors, not, you know, a suggestion thereof. And I loved the original characters. I am now insanely excited for Soule's Poe Dameron title (hence my new avatar).

A great read, would definitely own this one!