arrakiswitch

A Reciprocal Love Affair With Books

Miles Morales: Spider-Man (A Marvel YA Novel)
Jason Reynolds, Kadir Nelson
Progress: 206/261 pages

Tuf Voyaging

Tuf Voyaging - George R.R. Martin

More a novel in an unusual format than it is a short story collection, as it's touted, centering around the bizarre and enigmatic Haviland Tuf. I love the sense of humor, which remains evenly subtle, and the change in Tuf works very well, from big-hearted do-gooder to the Lord God Himself (as he himself declares in the second to last story, one of my favorites in the book), Tuf shows that there is no such thing as the incorruptible man (and the dangers of holding not only such dangerous and advanced technology, but separation from humanity, first bodily, and then in attitude and spirit.) The stories are uneven, and while I was happy to see Tolly Mune reappear a couple of times, I preferred the individual tales; I felt more as if the ones that advanced the overall arc were too talky about the ideas of the story, too expository. In the very last story, which almost got the book knocked down a star for the unsatisfying and abrupt ending, they discuss Tuf's believed godhood instead of that leaden feeling one got reading the story directly previous when he declares simply, "I am the Lord God."But, the end. I think it could have used an epilogue, as it was given a prologue to tie some things together. Some might find the quick ending edgy or brilliant; I only found it jarring.