arrakiswitch

Bad Moon Rising
Jonathan Maberry
Progress: 160/534 pages
The Immortal Iron Fist: The Complete Collection Vol. 1
Dave Lanphear, Derek Freidolfs, Tonci Zonjic, Jelena Kevic Djurdjevic, Clay Mann, Dean White, David Aja, Khari Evans, Roy Allan Martinez, Victor Olazaba, Francisco Paronzini, June Chung, Nick Dragotta, Mitch Breitweiser, Javier Rodriguez, Stefano Gaudiano, Dan Brereton, M

Daredevil: Back in Black vol. 1: Chinatown by Charles Soule and Ron Garney

Daredevil: Back in Black Vol. 1: Chinatown - Charles Soule, Ron Garney

So, straight up, I avoided Secret Wars like the plague, because I actually despise the big crossover events, so the fact that Matt's identity is now only known to Foggy and the fact that Matt seems to be a lapsed Catholic, and that he's now working for the DA's office, all surprised me. But not in a bad way, because, thank God, it's actually a new direction for the comics to take the character in. (Hugely unpopular opinion, but Foggy began to play WAY too large a role in the comics in the past ten, fifteen years.)

I know Waid's run was hugely beloved, especially since it added a bit of lightheartedness to the comic (again, unpopular opinion, I didn't dislike it, but I didn't think it was the best thing that had ever happened to the comic either; Matt without his angst is like peanut butter without its jelly) and so this has come under some scrutiny. But I enjoyed seeing it go in a completely new direction. My complaint would be with the story, and how it almost felt as if it had been cut in half, since a lot of it relies on events from Secret Wars, and how Matt is already training Blindspot, the introduction for that character only coming in the last issue of the collection. Which also allows for some surprises as to his identity, and that was fun.

And I liked Blindspot. A lot. And I really liked that he seems like a direct response to the criticism that there are an awful lot of white martial arts dudes running around New York; at one point, Blindspot even pointedly compares himself to Luke Cage in Harlem and Daredevil in Hell's Kitchen.

A strong start to a new run that I've heard only gets better.