arrakiswitch

Bad Moon Rising
Jonathan Maberry
Progress: 160/534 pages
The Immortal Iron Fist: The Complete Collection Vol. 1
Dave Lanphear, Derek Freidolfs, Tonci Zonjic, Jelena Kevic Djurdjevic, Clay Mann, Dean White, David Aja, Khari Evans, Roy Allan Martinez, Victor Olazaba, Francisco Paronzini, June Chung, Nick Dragotta, Mitch Breitweiser, Javier Rodriguez, Stefano Gaudiano, Dan Brereton, M

Dead Man's Song (Pine Deep #2) by Jonathan Maberry

Dead Man's Song (A Pine Deep Novel) - Jonathan Maberry

Whoa. What is a solid three-to-four star book starts to kick it up at the halfway mark and then hits hyperdrive in the explosive last act. I read the first book for Halloween bingo last year, and while I enjoyed it a lot, it wasn't a series that I felt that I HAD to return to immediately. I happened to catch a copy of the second book during a sale on BootOulet, and sort of casually picked it up, and while I liked the first half of the book, though that it was slow, that perhaps was a little too much bridging between books. I had started to doubt anything would happen in this book.

How wrong I was. I loved the addition of Newt, and I liked that Val feels more like a real character (though still venerated by men and women alike to a degree I feel distasteful.) And it breaks with modern convention of trilogy format by not ending with any more of a cliffhanger than the first did, and actually being somewhat... I don't want to say upbeat, but, yeah, compared to other 'part two's? Yeah.

I am now much more anxious to finish the trilogy. Hoping to get that done this Halloween!