arrakiswitch

A Reciprocal Love Affair With Books

Review: Frost by M.P. Kozlowsky

Frost - M.P. Kozlowsky

Like Stitching Snow, this was the science fiction fairy tale retelling I had been hoping Cinder would be. Funny that the both of them are actually Snow White. Just a point of interest. But, while Stitching Snow has an epic sort of Star Wars feel to it, Frost reminded me of more earthly sci-fi, like I Am Legend. With robots.

The setting of post-apocalyptic New York City is the book's strength, the world building and its story. I feel, unfortunately, that the weak point is the characters; not that they're bad, but that they can be bland, especially Frost herself. I'd go so far as to say that she's inconsistent, in that the author doesn't really seem to understand how a truly compassionate person would think and act.

I'm usually slightly iffy when a fairy tale retelling plays it so fast and loose with its inspirational material, but I think this book actually strikes the absolutely perfect balance. And it gets extra points for making the Wicked Queen figure male, and a robot questioning and coveting humanity (instead of beauty. Well,the beauty of humanity, if you will.)

A quick read, with room for a sequel that I hope this novel is successful enough to warrant!