arrakiswitch

Bad Moon Rising
Jonathan Maberry
Progress: 160/534 pages
The Immortal Iron Fist: The Complete Collection Vol. 1
Dave Lanphear, Derek Freidolfs, Tonci Zonjic, Jelena Kevic Djurdjevic, Clay Mann, Dean White, David Aja, Khari Evans, Roy Allan Martinez, Victor Olazaba, Francisco Paronzini, June Chung, Nick Dragotta, Mitch Breitweiser, Javier Rodriguez, Stefano Gaudiano, Dan Brereton, M

Review: John Dies at the End by David Wong

John Dies At The End - David Wong

A fantastically misanthropic horror tale, laced with bouts of obscene and obscenely funny comedy that heightens the absurdity of the entire thing. A sort of horrific Bill & Ted for the Millennial generation.

Listen, the comedy isn't going to be to everyone's tastes; I've seen many people who've dismissed it as stupid and childish. And some people who enjoy the comedy might not be comfortable with the level of gut-wrenching horror that makes itself known again and again. Originally serialized over the internet, readers may not even enjoy the format, which reads with an episodic feel.

The story itself isn't the main attraction though; it's the emotional connection to the characters that entices--David and John, originally, then, as the cast grows, definitely Amy in the second half. And, of course, Molly. I hung on to each page, turned with anticipation, because I genuinely cared about the characters in a very personal way. And then, boom! Suddenly, there's extremely strong emotional content about abuse/bullying that, from my own high school experiences, felt not only entirely and heart-wrenchingly real, but deeper than most non-lewd comedy material that I've tried to read. And weaves a story of a shockingly sweet romance in the second half, which was a wonderful surprise.

Comedy, horror, obscenity, gore and, above all else, absurdity, make this a solid read, that slips you some very real, and occasionally/not occasionally hugely misanthropic views of the world, in a veneer of chuckles and gag-worthy terror. One of my favorite reads of the year.