arrakiswitch

Bad Moon Rising
Jonathan Maberry
Progress: 160/534 pages
The Immortal Iron Fist: The Complete Collection Vol. 1
Dave Lanphear, Derek Freidolfs, Tonci Zonjic, Jelena Kevic Djurdjevic, Clay Mann, Dean White, David Aja, Khari Evans, Roy Allan Martinez, Victor Olazaba, Francisco Paronzini, June Chung, Nick Dragotta, Mitch Breitweiser, Javier Rodriguez, Stefano Gaudiano, Dan Brereton, M

Review: Coffin Hill vol. 1: Forest of the Night

Coffin Hill Vol. 1: Forest of the Night - Caitlin Kittredge, Inaki Miranda

Horror comics are rare. Good horror comics are an even rarer find. With lurid illustration and coloring, and a contemporary Gothic sensibility, Coffin Hill fulfilled this for me. I read the first volume in one sitting, about two hours, turning each page with a salacious excitement to see what happened next.

The story isn't the most original. Aside from 'girl returns to small town home to confront ancient evil awoken in childhood,' there's also a very strong Witches of Mayfair vibe here, with the Witch of the Woods revealed to be a Lasher-like spirit. But Kittredge puts a stamp on it with engaging, frankly fucked up characters.

If I had one complaint, it's that the pacing goes way too fast sometimes. Nate doesn't believe, doesn't want to face what he knew in his youth, and literally a panel away, he changes his mind, saying he can't run from it forever. And then he and Eve go home and have sex out of nowhere. He's also a bit quick to immediately accept back into his life the girlfriend he had when he was fifteen, after ten years of her being comatose. Maybe it's just Nate I have the problem with...

A fun read, practically dripping gore and secrets under autumn leaves. Can't wait to get my hands on the next volume!