arrakiswitch

Bad Moon Rising
Jonathan Maberry
Progress: 160/534 pages
The Immortal Iron Fist: The Complete Collection Vol. 1
Dave Lanphear, Derek Freidolfs, Tonci Zonjic, Jelena Kevic Djurdjevic, Clay Mann, Dean White, David Aja, Khari Evans, Roy Allan Martinez, Victor Olazaba, Francisco Paronzini, June Chung, Nick Dragotta, Mitch Breitweiser, Javier Rodriguez, Stefano Gaudiano, Dan Brereton, M

Review: Darth Vader vol. 2: Shadows and Secrets

Star Wars: Darth Vader Vol. 2: Shadows and Secrets - Kieron Gillen, Salvador Larroca

If you'd told me that I'd be enjoying a comic about Darth Vader as much as I am even five years ago, I would have called you a liar. There's so much that could go wrong here, and elements to it that shouldn't work (Dr. Aphra) but shockingly do.

I've lived through three phases of Star Wars comics: the original Marvel run, which was unendingly silly, and very much of the time (early 80's), a fun read when I was little but nothing that stands the test of time; Dark Horse's grim 90's incarnation, with great artistic integrity, but very little fun; and the new one, back to Marvel. The new run has proven to be so strong, it lets me forget all that other stuff.

Dr. Aphra is an interesting and complex character, and just a lot of fun to read about; the odd couple that she and Vader make, and their very uneasy friendship, should not work, and it's one of the reasons I put off starting this comic, but they managed to sell it, and make this comic... possibly my favorite of the new line.

And the emotional resonance, the callbacks to the prequels, as Vader learns Luke's name, and researches his history, is so much better done than the prose EU that they've released examining the same subjects.

I'm all in here! Got Vader Down and volume 3 waiting to go!