arrakiswitch

Bad Moon Rising
Jonathan Maberry
Progress: 160/534 pages
The Immortal Iron Fist: The Complete Collection Vol. 1
Dave Lanphear, Derek Freidolfs, Tonci Zonjic, Jelena Kevic Djurdjevic, Clay Mann, Dean White, David Aja, Khari Evans, Roy Allan Martinez, Victor Olazaba, Francisco Paronzini, June Chung, Nick Dragotta, Mitch Breitweiser, Javier Rodriguez, Stefano Gaudiano, Dan Brereton, M

Review: Crown of Midnight by Sarah J. Maas

Crown of Midnight - Sarah J. Maas

What can I say about this book, or this series for that matter, that hasn't already been said? It's what kept me from writing a complete and comprehensive review of the first book, too, because so much has been observed and discussed already.

There is a bit of a sophomore slump with second books in long series. Book number two tend to usually be a means to an end of moving the story along, more of a 1.5 than an actually separate story. They can be my least favorite books in series (looking at you, City of Ashes.) But sometimes, they can be exceptional, too (Scarlet is my favorite book in the Lunar Chronicles.)

This book is exceptional. Maas is always moving the story along. And while there were two major events that I predicted, and one heartbreaking one that I did not, it never felt predictable. I didn't see the ends she was working towards, and so the journey there was actually exciting and fun.

There's a strange alchemy that happens when you read a popular book and understand completely why it is popular. There's a chemistry that I am not a strong enough of a writer to try to describe. But I felt it reading this.

And I am 100% here for the characters. While I've been spoiled for the rest of the series (lesson: never go on the internet and announce that you haven't been spoiled, because the internet will seek to remedy this, LOL!) I can't wait to see and experience the journey it takes me on. I'm all in!