arrakiswitch

A Reciprocal Love Affair With Books

Miles Morales: Spider-Man (A Marvel YA Novel)
Jason Reynolds, Kadir Nelson
Progress: 206/261 pages

Wonder Woman vol. 6: Bones (New 52)

— feeling nerd
Wonder Woman Vol. 6: Bones (The New 52) - Cliff Chiang, Goran Sudžuka, Brian Azzarello

The story arc draws to a mostly satisfying (though fairly creepy) conclusion, but the same misogyny that plagues the entirety of Wondie's New 52 run is in full force, as always. I enjoyed the run, for the most part, I really did, but the marginalization of the Greek goddesses and the depiction of the Amazons as raging misandrists (why is it that men can never write a society of women alone without having to involve men by at the very least making them HATE and enslave them?) detracts from what could have actually have been a GREAT comic.

I'd wondered where Athena had been the entire story arc, especially since, pre-New 52, she was actually Diana's patron (Ares is now.) She shows up in this comic and... I don't even want to talk about it. No sir, I don't like it.

Zeus giving birth to Athena fully grown from his head in mythology is actually vastly different than Athena, in the guise of a mortal woman, actually viscerally giving birth to an infant Zeus, even though they try to make it the same thing. How did she even get pregnant? I don't want to think about it. I also don't want to think about how the goddess of war and wisdom was reduced to a womb. But it was Zola the entire time! Zola who...I never liked. Who only ever got herself imperiled and captured. Sighs.

(show spoiler)