arrakiswitch

Bad Moon Rising
Jonathan Maberry
Progress: 160/534 pages
The Immortal Iron Fist: The Complete Collection Vol. 1
Dave Lanphear, Derek Freidolfs, Tonci Zonjic, Jelena Kevic Djurdjevic, Clay Mann, Dean White, David Aja, Khari Evans, Roy Allan Martinez, Victor Olazaba, Francisco Paronzini, June Chung, Nick Dragotta, Mitch Breitweiser, Javier Rodriguez, Stefano Gaudiano, Dan Brereton, M

Review: As You Wish: Inconceivable Tales from the Making of The Princess Bride

As You Wish: Inconceivable Tales from the Making of The Princess Bride - Joe Layden, Cary Elwes, Rob Reiner

Tightly and charmingly written, Mr. Elwes, Westley himself, takes us right from the beginning to the end with his usual wit and charm, accompanied by quotes and stories from fellow cast members and the filmmakers.

The Princess Bride has been one of my favorite movies for a long time. The 80's were an excellent period for cinematic fantasy, and though not many of them did very well at the box office, they hold up and have many fans to this day. The Princess Bride is considered one of, if not THE, best of them. And for good reason. Based on a clever, romantic, humorous and sincere novel by William Goldman, the movie captured the same tone. And so does this book.

This is now my favorite movie book. Not exactly a tie-in, it almost stands alone in its novelty of a lead actor recounting their experience on one particular movie (the only other example I can think of is Janet Leigh's Psycho: Behind the Scenes of the Classic Thriller, though I'm sure there are many more). It was a fun and quick read, and maybe my only real complaint would be that it was a little too short. The real meat of the story really comes in about a third into the book, and you realize you've only got two-thirds of its 259 page length to hear every story Elwes can recall. And a lot of these can already be heard if you have the anniversary DVD and have watched the documentary on it.

But the book is infused with Elwes personal point of view, his humor and charisma. And can I just mention that the book design is fantastic? Beautiful to hold in your hands and with a nice, thick section of glossy photographs of the production. It was as fun to look at as it was to read.