arrakiswitch

A Reciprocal Love Affair With Books

Review: Red Sonja: Queen of Plagues

Red Sonja Volume 1: Queen Of Plagues - Jenny Frison, Walter Geovanni, Gail Simone

Gail Simone has quite a bit to make up for, in my reckoning. It wasn't so much that she spearheaded Batgirl's New 52 run, but the things she said in its defense were grating to the sister of a disabilities activist. But her Birds of Prey still remain some of my favorite comics of all times, and when my sister spotted this and brought it home for me from the library, I happily picked it up.

Simone's writing is a huge boon to a genre like this, as she is never ironic or self-referential. She's absolutely sincere all the way through. The story is basic, a good jumping in point for new readers without being too simple, or too annoyingly explanatory for longtime fans. Annisia is a fantastic character, and her relationship with Sonja as well as her own shifting mental state were surprisingly effective. I found myself tearing up at the end, which I had not expected.

The art was... ordinary. I'm getting rather tired of the current comic art style, but whatever. It wasn't bad. The real attraction was the cover gallery, with variations done by different female artists.

A solid read. I'd definitely pick up the next volume.