arrakiswitch

Bad Moon Rising
Jonathan Maberry
Progress: 160/534 pages
The Immortal Iron Fist: The Complete Collection Vol. 1
Dave Lanphear, Derek Freidolfs, Tonci Zonjic, Jelena Kevic Djurdjevic, Clay Mann, Dean White, David Aja, Khari Evans, Roy Allan Martinez, Victor Olazaba, Francisco Paronzini, June Chung, Nick Dragotta, Mitch Breitweiser, Javier Rodriguez, Stefano Gaudiano, Dan Brereton, M

Review: Fairest by Marissa Meyer

Fairest - Marissa Meyer

This is the best book I could have hoped for about Levana, managing to explain and expand without begging for the reader's sympathy. You understand her a little better, but she still comes off as a psychopath. Marissa Meyer, as always, makes it inherently readable (which sounds like a backhanded compliment, but it's really not; smoothly readable prose is very hard to find, and pleasant to read) and I think she's becoming a stronger writer as the series goes along.

I only wish it had been longer. It's focused only on Levana (I believe this started life as one of the novellas that typically accompany the release of each of the series' entries? Like Glitches, or The Queen's Army, the latter of which could slot into this book rather well!) and gives us a glimpse of Luna from her very privileged point of view. I would have read a 600 page book that included Dr. Darnel (cough), the Kesleys, Dr. Tanner; I would have adored shifting POVs. That said, I realize this was a novella, and I was happy to read it. But I wanted more!

I bought the Target special edition, with the extra preview chapter of Winter, but have yet to read the sneak peek! I think the wait till November might kill me if I do, LOL!